Monday, December 12, 2016

Use your stuff- Let it Snow

This weeks challenge at Use your stuff is hosted by Janis from Pause Dream Enjoy
The theme is "Let It Snow."  Make any type of project you'd like with some snow on it,
and come link up with us

We don't get much in the way of snow here in the Willamette Valley, we do however get freezing rain.  Just this week too.  Think I much rather have pretty snow if it's going to be slick out.  Anyway for my contribution this week I created a layout of the Chess game my mother and daughter played during Christmas break back in 2014.

I added a bunch of stenciled and doodled snowflakes to the base page
 The stencil I used was looked more like an asterisk and dots so I added the extra arms to the flakes and the smaller dots weaving in and out around the larger ones with a white gel pen.

 
From there I loosely followed Sketches in Thyme sketch #235
 I didn't want to cover up all my snowflakes with a large paper layer behind my photos so I just double matted the main photo and I used a chipboard frame instead of a tag, but I think you can tell I followed the sketch.  I love using sketches when I'm short on time as I don't have to work as hard on the general placement of everything and can just focus on getting the rest of the layout together
 
 
I also rotated the photo orientation to work with my photo and drop the framed photo down a bit to hide a smudged snowflake
 


The title is older thicker letters that were actually glittery pink, so I toned them down with a chalk pen and now they look snowy too.  Got a bit creative and cut the bottom off of a b to make my h, but it works and now there are four less letters in my stash

 
To add just a little more snow I used the coordinating snow flake that cam with my TSR kit for December (MME- Sugar Plum) perfect timing as the papers arrived this afternoon and I was struggling to find Christmas papers in my stash.  Love my kits

 
Thanks for stopping by to take a look and don't forget to show us your snow at Use your stuff

6 comments:

  1. I really love that snowflake border. So very pretty! Thanks for joining us at Sketches in Thyme

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic idea to use snowflakes as a border. Great layout! Gail - USE YOUR STUFF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant layout. Very pretty. Thanks for playing along with us at Sketches In Thyme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the snowflake border against your black background. So glad you could join us at Sketches In Thyme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the snowflakes on the black background! Great take on our sketch! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Sketches In Thyme! -Lori DT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful take on the sketch! Thanks for sharing with us at Sketches In Thyme!

    ReplyDelete